The Educational system of US has a very holistic approach towards its applicant’s profile. This is a big reason why US remains one of the most preferred destinations for international students who wish to pursue MS. Though a good Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are very important to get admission in an esteemed university or college in USA, it is not everything.
Just like a high score in GRE is not a full proof guarantee of getting through your dream colleges, in the same way it is plausible to pursue MS in USA with average GRE scores. There are some more contributing factors such as your overall profile,GPA, SOP, Letters of recommendation(LORs) Statement of purpose, TOEFL/ IELTS scores( if applicable), research work, extracurricular activity etc. Here is a birds eye view of what you require for getting admission for MS programs in USA;
- Statement of Purpose– They says that life gives you only one chance to create the first impression. SOP is a reflection of your aspirations, career goals and ambition. This is a great opportunity for a student to show their capabilities and prove their mettle to the admissions committee. A well written and articulate SOP is a sure shot way of getting you inches closer to your dream of MS in USA.
- Letters of Recommendation– An effective and impressive LOR matters and what matters even more is the people who are writing those for you. Apart from scoring well , it helps if you have been at your best behaviour throughout college years. After all your beliefs don’t make you a better person, your behaviour does.
- Extracurricular Activities-Even though co curricular activities are not a part of the core curriculum, they are vital in life. While it is important to be academically sound, participation in extracurricular enhances your personality, strengthens your self confidence and increases your chances of admission for MS in USA.
- Undergraduate academics– At the very least you will be expected to maintain a GPA higher than 3.2 while a minimum of only 3 is required.
The deadline and GRE scores for MS in USA differ from time to time. While many US colleges don’t pay much importance to GRE scores and there are some which do not even require them at all. Following are some universities where average GRE scores for MS in USA are accepted –
- University of WYOMING
- San Hose state University
- Florida International University
- University of Arkansas, Little Rock to name a few.
We are living in the computer age and the demand for pursuing MS in Computer Science in US is forever growing, Depending on the composition of the class, the GRE for MS in Computer science in USA varies each year. One needs to take into account the previous year’s score and aim towards scoring more than that.
Some popular colleges in USA with average GRE scores for MS in Computer Science are as follows;
- University of New Mexico
- University of Arizona
- San Diego state University
- University of ILLINOIS
- California state university at San Hose to name a few
Indian students seeking admission to MS programs in USA needs to remember that even if you don’t have a stellar GRE score, you don’t need to despair. Make the other parts of your application strong and effective and then there can be no stopping you.
Success occurs when your dreams get bigger than your excuses. So believe in yourself and go confidently towards the direction of your dream life.