The UK Government, Universities and Colleges offer a wide range of scholarships and fellowships for international students. These are open for all prospective students aspiring to pursue a full-time study program in any stream.
There are different types of undergraduate and post graduate scholarships for Indian students that the country offers. One type scholarships extend deduction on the total tuition fee, whereas other award other forms of aids like living expenses, airfare, visa fee based on the applicant’s academic excellence and background. These scholarship programs and other funding are generally managed by the British Council and other associated organizations. They are a boon for Indian students seeking to study in the top universities in UK.
Here is a list of top ten most popular international scholarships for Indian students to study in UK along with the eligibility for those scholarships:
- Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarship – St John’s College had launched the Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships in the honor of Dr. Singh. This UK Scholarship will help academically exceptional Indian students to come to St. John’s College, University of Cambridge to study for doctoral degrees in subjects like Science & Technology, Economics and Social Sciences. Applications in Aerospace Engineering and Energy Studies will be given preference. The scholarships are fully funded, and cover academic fees, international airfare, and monthly stipend to cover living expenses along with UK visa.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (2014) – This UK scholarship is a government initiative aimed at students of Commonwealth countries who will make a significant contribution to their home country after the completion of a higher education program in the UK. This international scholarship for Indian and other International students covers economy return international travel, tuition fee, adequate maintenance and other allowances. For Master’s degree candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree latest by October 2014 in the subject field concerned securing 60% or above marks in Humanities and Social Science group and 65% or above marks in Medical, Engineering and Technology, Science and Agriculture group.
- Goa Education Trust (GET) Scholarship – GET is a university scholarship aimed to provide the residents of Goa (aka Goans) a mode to pursue the best available opportunities in education in their field of interest. This international scholarship for Indian students provides scholarships and research fellowships to eligible students for their post graduate studies in the United Kingdom in all fields and departments. Since the introduction of the scholarship in 2010, recipients of the award have successfully completed their studies in a range of subjects including Journalism, Education, Ancient History and Law. The scholarship may cover full or part tuition fees for the courses.
- Charles Wallace India Trust (CWIT) Scholarship – Each year CWIT offers up to ten long term awards which may range from 2–3 months up to a maximum of a year. It covers accommodation and living costs in the UK, fees and part of the international fares to those who meet the eligibility for this scholarship. Please note, CWIT does not support two year courses or programs. This scholarship is a boon for any student striving to study in the top universities in UK.
- Sir Ratan Tata Scholarship – If you are an Indian student wishing to study in UK, this scholarships and financial support includes part of the student’s international airfare from India to the university abroad. Travel grants are provided to the students applying for post-graduate and doctoral studies. It is important to note that applications for travel grants must reach the Trusts’ office between the months of April and July for the following the Fall semester admissions and between November and December for the upcoming Spring admissions.
- Hornby Scholarship – This university scholarship is aimed at the English language teachers from developing countries like India. The Trust focuses on supporting English language specialists, such as senior teachers, teacher-trainers, inspectors and material writers by offering MA scholarships to enable them to study the English language and teaching for an academic year in the UK. Keep in mind that the eligibility for this scholarship requires applicants to have at least five years of experience as an English language teacher.
- Inlaks Scholarship – This undergraduate Scholarship for Indian Students is granted at top American, European and UK institutions, for funding requirements including tuition fees. It provides the opportunity to young people with exceptional talent in any field to improve their skills to operate in society, thus making a difference. The scholarships are of two types, university courses and specific programs. Indian citizens must be residing in India for at least two years at the time of the application. It’s important to note that individuals holding a postgraduate degree such as Masters or PhD from a university outside India are not eligible.
- Felix Scholarship – This scholarships and financial support is applicable for underprivileged Indian and other International students aspiring to studying in the top universities in UK. The trust proffers up to six scholarships each for Indian graduates at University of Oxford, University of Reading & School of Oriental and African Studies every year. The Scholarships are open to citizens of India under 30 years of age, who hold a first class Bachelor’s degree from a recognized Indian university.
- Rhodes Scholarships – Each year, there are five scholarships available for study in UK for Indian students chosen on the basis of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service, to study at the University of Oxford. It pays for the entire University and College fees, a personal stipend and one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the scholarship along with an economy flight back to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the Scholarship. It includes both the undergraduate and post graduate scholarship for Indian students.
- Erasmus Mundus– This scholarships and financial support is meant to enhance quality in higher education through cooperation between Europe and the rest of the world. The program offers financial support for institutions and scholarships for individuals striving to study in the top universities in UK. The scholarship amount can vary according to the level of studies, teaching, research; their duration and the grantee’s nationality. The scholarship amount granted to non-EU applicant is more than that of EU residents.