Why do college students seek career guidance?
Even when you have reached college, it is absolutely alright to be confused about what you want to do further. Very often it happens so that what you thought you wanted to do before entering college, no longer interests you. With development of additional skills in college, students explore new areas, have new interests and seek guidance on what is the next correct step for their career. Most management engineering and even arts students are often unsure about the further specializations they should get into or which higher course they should pursue. Unlike old times, when there were only few career options available to students, today there are a number of contemporary careers that one can choose even if they have graduated in an unrelated subject. Career guidance helps college students to determine their next big step – post-graduate studies or a job? It will determine, identify and pick the careers and occupations that best suit you.
A higher educational degree involves investments in terms of money and time, so it is necessary to make sure that you pursue a degree in a subject you like. No one wants to waste the money on a degree that will be of no use to them! Very often we come across students who drop out of college after their first year to enroll to some other course as they realize it’s not their cup of tea! Believe us; you would not want to go through something like that.
You should go for a career assessment if you ever have these thoughts:
- I don’t know what I want to do next in my life.
- I have some career options in mind, but don’t know which one to choose.
- I want to know the kind of jobs I can get with my current qualification.
- I want to know if I should switch my stream since I don’t like what I am currently doing.
- My family wants me to do…… but I don’t think I am fit for it.
- I am not sure if I will be good at this particular career.
- I always thought I wanted to be a………and did the course also but I really don’t like it!”